Monday 30 May 2022

A Busy Flower Season

 

Currently it's raining outside, temperatures are dipping below 8 degrees and it's promising to get even colder by the end of the week.  In fact they're predicting snow, and yes, we do live in the hills, but snow here is not normal.  So for the moment I'm having a cuppa, not thinking about the flower farm chores that need doing, and reflecting on the past season.  As a first time flower farmer, (although not new to growing dahlias) there has been lots of successes, a few failures, but plenty learnt along the way.  Starting a new business is always a challenge but taking small steps has been the key to avoiding feeling overwhelmed.  Now I'm looking forward to spring, especially as winter officially begins tomorrow, for not only warmer weather but the blossoming of the spring flowers and varieties I haven't tried before.  
With the dahlia tubers now dug up and put into storage the beds have been dug over and repurposed.  Eight hundred ranunculus corms have been planted and half have sprouted nicely.  Stock, delphiniums, calendula, sweet peas, cornflowers and everlasting daisies are coming along, although like everything new, it's been a bit of trial and error so I'll be re-starting everlasting daisy seeds in trays when a second order arrives in the mail.  Direct sowing, in a perfect world of gardening, would be wonderful and less time consuming, but it can be a bit hit and miss so these new seeds will be nursed along indoors (as in my cosy lounge room) before being put out in the newly built greenhouse.
There was success selling at farmer's markets this summer, with some being better than others.  So many factors come into play with markets making it hard to judge how well you're going to go.  Factors including the size of the market, whether there was another flower seller, the number of patrons and how far they had to travel home with fresh flowers and also the weather, determined how many flowers were sold.  Two rainy Sundays saw the cancellation of the Maffra market for two months in a row and an extremely windy day one Saturday at Drouin meant that the marquee had to stay in the van and the flowers barely stayed on the table!  Next season I'd like to have the luxury of being more selective when it comes to which markets I attend as weekends are generally extremely busy on the farm during the warmer months and is when my husband and I get stuck into cattle and sheep work, but I do intend on attending my favourites.  There are many other avenues to sell farm fresh flowers, so as well as approaching local florists, I will continue with farmgate sales and selling through the Boolarra post office.  I am looking to supplying through other local businesses and providing workshops on the farm.  Once the farm is in full bloom there is also a possibility of providing farm tours to interested horticultural groups and other flower fanatics.  Another plan is to provide a subscription service to customers, whereby you can receive a fresh bouquet of seasonal flowers once a week, fortnight or month.  As well as brightening people's homes this would also be perfect for cafes, reception areas and waiting rooms.
Over the last few weeks a site has been cleared for the peonies that have been ordered.  These are a long term investment as they won't produce flowers for cutting for at least three years, but they are most definitely the 'Queen of flowers' and once established can live for a hundred years.  The display of flowers is fleeting but totally worth it.  Some new bare rooted roses have been planted, including a beautiful champagne variety perfect for brides, and there are still other plants to arrive in June.
I did my first wedding (see bouquet above and below), as well as provided small last minute jars of dahlias and a cake topper for two other weddings through the summer.  As a 'farmer/florist' I can provide simple rustic style wedding flowers at a more affordable price.  I am happy to discuss with brides what they would like and the farm will be open to come and view what is available.  I can either provide the flowers for your wedding for you to arrange yourself, or I can do it for you.  I am also happy to supply the flowers for your preferred florist to create your designs.
My cup of tea is finished, I'm thinking about making another one (#teaaddict) and I can look forward to about a month or so of slightly less gardening work.  The next jobs for the flower farm will be starting more seeds for spring, and I have already got myself organised and listed what needs to be planted when.  I have saved dahlia seed heads so will hopefully get an array of original dahlia blooms next season, so they will need to be sown as well.  But for the moment I can enjoy looking back on a lovely summer of blooms on the hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.